Friday 30 April 2010

Kenyan Diaries: Words of an angel


22nd April

Today was the first time I can honestly say I met a truly blessed, inspirational, nothing short of amazing woman. I have never described someone as angelic but this woman was.

As part of a project myself and my roomies are working on we select and interview members of the community to get their stories and learn something amazing to share with you all at our video and picture fundraising display. So far we have interviewed John from the Kisima project, a youth group and today was sister Catherine, a nun from the Daughters of Charity group. This woman is truly wonderful. She j\has a truly amazing spirit and loving heart that I saw as so very beautiful. She spoke with so much passion and she is so warm she'd make even the hardest criminal soften their heart.

I really have love for her and all she is putting her love into. She welled up with tears about 3 times while she spoke about the issues they were dealing with and the strength of the Kenyan people. Attempting to reiterate all she had said would be futile as I could b\never do it due justice so you will have to wait and watch!

She did tell us about the 12 projects they are working on here though. The library being one , im at the library now, and a great triumph it is! The whole compound shines really. They have a physio therapy place, a hospice, HIV/AIDS centre, sewing class, disabled children's home and football teams. They also support many through food, education and just love really. she is honestly a woman of love. If everyone in the world w\thought and loved like her I cant even imagine what a wonderful world it would be.

She spoke so warmly of the community. Though no community in poverty is without its problems she sees the beauty in it all and spoke of how generous the people here are and how smart they are. This is so true in many cases. The people here are so much more able \, just through their hard graft lifestyles, they are able to endure so much more hardship than us westerners. They may not know much about history and politics but they know God and sister Catherine highlighted that. And when you live in a place like this faith is one thing you need. When the rain has not come and your crops are dieing so your children are starving and relying on handouts, all you need is your faith. That's all they use. SubhannAllah. How beautiful! And how may of us can say the same?

How beautiful is this village and its inhabitants. This is what I came here to witness. People like sister Catherine, Dennis, Sarah, John and all the other inspirational souls I have encountered. They all touch me in their own small ways and I can only hope my passion and desire to help touches them, even in my silence.

And as I sit here on this concrete slab overlooking one of the most beautiful sights I have seen I am so so very grateful to God. For blessing me and my family and friends with our loves and for all the people who consider themselves blessed No matter what race, sex or religion we are, we re all one, unified by our creator. Lets love him and love each other.

Still smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment