Sunday 11 April 2010

Kenyan Diaries: Still smiling!!!


I just want to note that today was the last day of digging for 2 weeks and I have become rather good at it!!!

Today we split ourselves into 3 groups - the hard bodied diggers, the ad bodied machete users, and the soft bodied seed collectors!! The machete's btw caused a lot of upset in the bb house as some people didn't feel comfortable carrying the sharp big ol knife's to work! I was a hard bodied digger! And i have come to understand and appreciate that some people are just better at certain tasks than others. Because someone is not good at manual labour, it doesn't always mean they are lazy, just not as capable! Or skilled for that matter! So i see that it isn't fair to l;abel people as lazy for this reason alone. I found the digging ok today and though it was baking hot I drank enough water to see me through. Better yet in the way home though I said I was gonna kick back and walk real slow I somehow ended up passing everyone walking home and getting home 2nd, even though I left work last! Mount Kenyamanjaro wasn't so bad for the first time ever!!

AND...I'm getting so much better at hand washing! Many volunteers have resorted to taking their clothes to the dry cleaners due to the effort of washing coupled with the unpredictable weather and a was\hing line that keeps falling down and dropping our clothes onto the dirty earth!

But I am determined to stay committed to the old hand washing graft despite my hands being sore!

AND FINALLY...the food is starting to grate on me! When we get to Nairobi I may just have to buy at least 10 cups of cuppa indomie coz I canni eat no more ugali and the 'iams' is starting to sicken me a bit too! God forgive me! It's not that bad really, and i am so grateful. I eat the most so I must enjoy it a bit. But that may be more so related to my not wanting this weight loss to continue!

Anywho...soldiering through and still smiling!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment