Wednesday 7 April 2010

Kenyan Diaries: The day of the Terential Rain


I hope I will only have to document this once!!
Wow, Kenya really experiences the worst of both worlds- Serious rain which is so heavy it appears as though it could even wash away the crops and extreme drought!!!

We thank God for the former as it does have a positive effect on the growing of crops but the irony is, as my host father informed me, because it is raining so heavily and there are a number of crops everyone grows, the price for these crops fall as it is easily accessible! Hows that for a catch 22!

Anyway so on this day, after digging in the morning (which i silently despise!)It began raining so heavily we had to stop work till it finished. The children at the school tend to walk home with no shoes on (not that their shoes would protect them much anyway) and it is rather sad as it is not only mud we walk in, its cow and donkey poo all over the gaff too!!! Thank God I bought some wellies in Nairobi!!

The mud on the way back was so deep tho! And very red! And as I explained before the walk to and from work is no joke and its so much worse from work as there is one ma-mouth hill to walk up!!I call it mount Kenyamanjaro!!! But wont kill me just makes me stronger and my tactic is to stop half way up the hill and get my heart rate back to normal then I can keep going!!!

The rain does also mean we cant put our clothes out to dry! I have been trying to dry these clothes for 3 days n now they smell of damp!!Happy days!!But I'm still smiling!!! And tbh working when its hot has another list of problems tbh so I am thankful!!!

Hard work is beautiful n so is Kenya!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment