Wednesday 7 April 2010

Kenyan Diaries: Community Day


Today's task was unsurprisingly....wait for it...DIGGING!!!! Happy days!! But I'm still what...smiling!!

So we worked at a charity organization called Compassion. And the most annoying thing of the day was everyone's constant complaining!!Argghh its doing my head in!!!I wonder how pleasant this experience would be if we all just got on with it and were just positive about everything, despite how hard some things are! It is unfortunate that we are not doing work that everyone deems fulfilling but if it helps this poor community in some way I believe we are doing a worth while job! Though easy to say! And hard work is hard work! And I tell you digging and planting may not seem such a big deal but in heat it really is!!One thing I can say I have learnt is a true work ethic!

I', on digging duty today as I don't want to bed low to plant so I don't expose my booty! And I have never worked this hard in my life!! Give thanks if all you do a day is stand up in a shop waiting for customers to come in or at a desk answering the phone. The work may not be intellectually challenging but its hard work that people get paid peanuts to do and we get paid nada of course!!

So anyway to drown out the moans I just have my headphones in the whole time because otherwise miss 'faisty Alimah' as they have all dubbed me will have to come out!! I love bringing out ghetto Limz! If there is one thing I have learnt about my personality is\ts that I really am a leader and not a follower and I speak my mind, sometimes very bluntly!!

About the charity - Compassion takes children in who are from very poor backgrounds and coaches them on weekends in various areas of their lives. These areas include spirituality, economics, socially and physically. Sponsors come from all over the world and children depart from the program for a number of reasons including a better economic situation, getting married, disinterest etc. The only thing I had a problem with however, was the missionary style it has. Bible in one hand and money in the other. They take in non Christians but these children must, during the course of their time with compassion, convert to Christianity. Now this I don't play! Charity is charity. It should not be used as a bribe to get people to join your religion. I believe anyway.

Giving is a part of Godliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment