Sunday 11 April 2010

Kenyan Diaries: Cleanliness is next to Godliness!!!


Everyone always says "I would never go a day without washing". And I am definitely an advocate of this. But have you ever considered that many factors would result in you actually not being able to wash? Before I came out here I expected not to be able top wash everyday due to the drought Kenya was facing. Thank Almighty God the two year drought is over so we haven't had to ration water as much or order it in from the city. We rather use the rain water that is in our tank. Only thing is, the water is seriously cold! And in the mornings it is not particularly hot here so its not like you want a cold morning bath! And the hassle of getting up every morning at 630am, putting on your coat to go out and fetch water., is far from fun!

But so far I have not gone a single day without doing so! I feel like a real African with my water bucket. And though one of my room mates has bought a kettle, as I don't really like using people's stuff I still soldier the cold washes! And I'm normally up first so there is no que. But one thing I have noticed is that everyone else seems to g\have given up on the daily wash thing! I say again, if its good enough for the locals who am I to be above it! Though I'm saying that knowing that if I catch a cold from this the cold washes will have to get locked!

But to be fair, ppl do wash when we return from work sweaty sometimes!

The cold washes are hard but I see it as part of my journey. It so makes me appreciate water so much more. We try and recycle water to flush the toilet and I have kinda given up on the smelly pit latrine outside btw! But praise God for flushing toilets, running taps and hot water! It is such a blessing!

The moral of my blog entry is just to not let your standards slip. Utilize what ever resources you j\have and be thankful!

Gods teaches that cleanliness is a part of worship. Love yourself, love your body, love to be clean!

Never caught slipping! (Wink!)

No comments:

Post a Comment