Thursday 21 October 2010

Black History Month Thoughts: 1.4 Billion Reasons...


I feel annoyed with myself!

Since returning from Kenya I have been active. I have done a lot of volunteering etc and I have given many pro development rant speeches to friends and family who have listened or read my lengthy emails but I have not really spread the word about development anywhere as much as I need to or want to.

Everytime I plan on writing a blog on development issues I never know where to start coz my blogs are longth enough as it is, one on such a broad area would never end! And its an area I amso passionate about I guess I feel like my writing won't do it due justice.

Yesturday I went to an event hosted by a charity called MADE. It was a screening of a documentary film called 1.4 Billion Reasons.

1.4 billion people live in extreme poverty...so that's 1.4 billion reasons to respond immediately.

The film reminded me of the passion I have for helping in any way I can, the UN Millenuium Development Goals to come to pass. It reminded me of the love I long for for humanity and it reminded me of the life of balance I vowed to live when I returned from Kenya.

Moreso, seeing the clips of children in their tattered school uniforms reminded me of the kenyan children who greeted us so warmly on our travels and the farmers digging up the earth reminded me of the earth I once dug up and the sounds of african drums reminded me of all the smiles and the sunshine and the oh so beautiful Kenyan land!

I miss Kenya.

But really I miss my passion to see us MAKE POVERTY HISTORY.

So...since its BHM and I haven't found time to write many racial pieces I will TRY and write a blog every couple of days on different aspects of development. And I hope some of you who see things the way I do will read and sahre your thoughts with me.

But for now have a peek at the Millenuim Development Goals if you care enough - go on DFID's website --- http://www.dfid.gov.uk/
While your at it have a browse round...http://www.globalpovertyproject.com/pages/about_us

If only there were more hours in the day...I could just write endlessly.

Still smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment