Monday 25 October 2010

Black History Month: Black's Got Talent!!!



I am meant to be posting about poverty and development which I will but I just wanted to write a quick one about the event I went to on Sunday!

It was a BHM event - basically a showcase of talent! I hadn't been to an event like that in ages and it was so nice to be in a venue with good vibes, great entertainment and all for the celebration this great month!

There was a dance group that took me back to my school days of going to talent shows and my year of practicing a dance for the Southwark show that we never actually did perform! Would have been a fail if we did tho! Lol!

The poet, who initially I was reluctant about because she has that American style of reciting which I am starting to find defeats the meaning of some poetry performances, was amazing. The content of her poems were deep and meaningful and spoke to me on many levels. I have written alot on the things she spoke about. I appreciate the poetic art form - I may just add that one of my poems 'Open Your Eyes' is being published in the Platform 2 poetry book!!! :)

The fashion too was note worthy. I am really loving the fact that everyone seems to have some kind of fashion line out these days! I even did/do! (Liallah Vintage will return sometime soon!) The first was a African line (funnily enough I had just sketched and given designs to my tailor to make ankara dresses for me that very day!) which was on point! It's beautiful to see the commercial world appreciate our traditional cloth. And while I love the traditional ways of wearing lace and ankara I am loving the modern twists! The second line was more street fashion - very imageting! I can't say I didn't like it coz I did!

There were two acts I weren't to excited about...a singer who could really saaang but his lyrical content was too explicit for me! And then the comedian...hmmm...black comedians love to pick on 3 people if there in the crowd...white people, Somalians and Muslims if there are any!! And there's me in my bright blazer sitting at the front...I was pretty much asking for it-and he did go there! I won't repeat what he said! Silly man!

And my friend Remel who hosted the event was excellent! Its wonderful to see people you know who are going down the media route, do big things! I am a big supporter of urban talent. I have to big up my girl Abimaro on that one. She is one of the most inspirational singer/songwriters I know and the wings attached to her music continue to extend! I could list more...

Black people, through our struggles, stories, rich culture and traditions have so much to offer in the entertainment world. We are appreciated in this area but not as much as we should be. Every time I go to one of these shows, hear some original music or see some deep lined African dance I raise my fist a lil higher!

...I just think it's important we as a community continue to back eachother in anything we are trying to do. Whether that be academic, in fashion, music...whatever. We need to lift eachother up! It's only once we unite fully and support eachother that other communities will believe in us and support us too! One day it won't be classed 'urban'...it'll just be part of the mainstream!

Anyway...that's all from me!

P.S...I watched the MOBOs this year - loving where Tinie Tempah has got himself too,two awards n all -naija boy and all! And Tinchy has had my backing from day so I was happy to see his performance tho i know there were no awards there! Might aswell big up Ruff Squad...I'm like their most unlikely supporter but I listen to their tunes r'day!! Luv grime tbh...maybe it's because I'm a Londoner! ;)

Look at me biggin people up like it really counts lol!

Still smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment