Monday 11 October 2010

BHM Reflections: No Corruption in Lagos? Really?


As the child of parents who both grew up in Lagos and as a person who identifies with tales of area boys and corruption the BBC2 documentary on Law and Disorder was really interesting!

Yes it was hella funny and I could just blog a bunch of quotes from that documentary...Nigerians have got to be the funniest people in Africa!!The things they say-classic!!! Anywho...it did, I think, warrant a serious reflective moment. I love being Nigerian and though I have only been there once (2008) I see myself as Nigerian because let’s face it-my part of south London is swarming with us so it’s not hard to stay connected with our culture. And my parents have serenaded me with all things Nigerian - from the kid’s parties every Saturday to the put your hands up and face the wall punishments!! But as much as I love the culture, I can’t stand the mentality of many Nigerians.

I remember when we went...and we were walking through my mum’s old area-really urban part. I tried to blend in with some old clothes but my brother had to come with his fresh everything and anyway we just stood out. A bunch of boys said, as we walked passed with my aunt...’We will show dem’...he said it in English (with his kink accent) I guess so we’d know exactly what he was saying!! My aunt scorned him and said...’Kilo fe fi wo’ (what will you show them?) followed by ‘olodo’ (cuss word)...I did laugh at the time, tho I was slyly a bit nervous!!

Anywho...as we all know poverty breeds crime. It’s as simple as that. When I was in Kenya, as we looked over the Kibera slum I remember the headmaster of the school tell us about the reciprocal cycle of the slum children. The few who are lucky enough to go to primary school will go, but once they finish, because they cannot afford high school they enter into or re-enter (many of them start school after a life of crime) the life of crime many see as the only option. In many places I think a kind of Robin Hood principle prevails. They are poor and no one is helping them through educating or employing them so they steal and commit crimes against those that perhaps should be helping or simply those more fortunate. And that was why the bobo said that to us, he looked at us and saw money and so felt as though he should be entitled to some too. That’s how poverty breeds crime.

We all need to eat? That’s what criminals like that say. That’s what man dem pushing in Brixton will say. And I do understand very much that one of the fundamental causes of crime is inequality. Clearly the link between black people in Britain being over represented in crime figures is not just due to victimisation, it’s simply down to higher levels of crime caused by the cycle of ‘poverty’ breeding criminals.

The ‘Cross and Die’ dude in the documentary (I think I was the only person who didn’t find that funny-ode) made a valid enough point. He said ‘We want job, we don’t want to fight’...he said they really wanted peace. And while I don’t like the idea of justifying violence or crime for any reason, I can understand where he is coming from. If you’re hungry and your kids are hungry and no one is trying to offer you an out when you’re ready and willing to work for your p, what will you do? The problems lies within the internal factions of government who are failing their people, in turn causing their people to fail themselves and each other.

Now that bre...MC’s vice or voice you might say was funny! I liked the fact that he was rather well spoken. But I found his delusional attitude to the illegality of MC’s empire really annoying. In places like Nigeria there really isn’t much law and order-I guess that was what the doc was aiming to reveal. It’s every man for themselves. Survival of the fittest. So rather than relying on being employed by legal means, these area boys are hired by dudes like MC. Who simply breathe air into their criminality. His attitude annoyed me...silly brother. The law does not work in the country. As a person studying the law I can appreciate that. It simply doesn’t work because it fails to produce what the fundamental aim of law is-order and justice. Crucial fail results in crucial failings in the ways of the people.

These people watch their governments steal and swindle millions so to them it’s just the way it is-if the leaders of the country don’t obey the law why should the citizens? And their officers of the law are all in on the criminal dealings too!SMH...

To make matters worse they blatantly don’t want to hear any voice of reason. The way that officer boyed off Louis’s questions with –‘you’re just recycling one issue’! As much as I laughed it’s so annoying how they don’t want to hear anyone. Surely a country so hard headed and stuck in their ways won’t ever change.

But I suppose its not all bad. Environmental day looked promising. I read something about that in the news a while ago. It is Nigeria’s attempt to be greener I suppose. The only thing is you just know that’s going to be used as another tool to get money out of people who are in the wrong place on a Sunday!

To end...I don’t think we are really in much of a position to judge in many ways. While we make jokes of the man dem in London who are bringing 419 to our streets we don’t truly understand the struggles of the people there. Not that it is reason for their behaviour but it really is such a whole different life out there that until we live there, all we can do is laugh without really understanding who is to blame. To me it’s all of them. Even us.

Black History Month is about reflecting on the past, analysing the present and planning for the future. I for one am very proud to be Nigerian because with all its problems, the wealth of culture it brings truly warms my heart. So when I make it big and become senior partner at my law firm and I’m making mainstream money, best believe I’m gonna lay some foundations out back home!!! InshaAllah. Actions speak louder than words after all.

Anywho...here’s to another failed short blog...gosh I talk too much!!!

Big up all my flygerians!!!Flygerian blog soon come!!!

Still smiling.

P.S If you can be bothered after reading this have a listen to Wande Coal - Se Na Like This...the lyrics are really deep and I'm sure most people haven't noticed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVzXiWJj-o

No comments:

Post a Comment