Sunday 16 May 2010

Kenyan Diaries Poetry: Looking on Me in Pity

You call me oppressed
While you shake your head in pity
You whisper oh so ignorant words
While you point with the person beside you
You stare in fascination at me
Fighting off the curious urge to ask me a stupid question

About my covering.
My love
My hijab.

You see me as unliberated
Despite my smile
You feel I’m unhappy
Despite my tolerance of your unwitting idiocy
You feel yourself superior
Despite my confident logical answer

You look at me surprised
Because I have an elaborate and eloquent response
Because my intellect goes far beyond your own and expectations
Because you see the glimmer of pride in my sparkling eye while I explain to you what you know not.
Because your small mind doesn't grasp the concept of freedom of choice

Because you can’t fathum the theory of faith and selflessness
You cant see the love in our hearts
So to comfort your own insecurities
To hide your own discontentment
To mask your won lack of confidence
You look upon me in pity
I am no slave to his eyes
Mine is mine and yours is yours
If you choose to share your body with all of mankind that is your choice
Not my wish
When I choose to keep mine sacred for myself and mine
That’s my fulfillment.

And when you note that I never asked you why you stand before me ignorant of inner beauty
And why you submit to someones standard of beauty
Obsess over size, perfection and imperfection
You will realise that there is no need to pity me
And you will see that although I could
I don't even pity you.

No comments:

Post a Comment