Sunday 16 May 2010

Kenyan Diaries: Lake Naivasha: A Wonder of My World


27th April 2010
Ah, we have reached the much anticipated half way mark of this amazing journey and I thank God for allowing me to witness all that I have so far.

My love for Kenya grew emensely this weekend! We finally had our mini holiday off work in Lake Naivasha, a beautiful and breathtaking part of Kenya; home to much wildlife and o9f course the lake. We were also reunited with the other 16 volunteers who stay in Meru. That was wonderful as I’ve bonded well with two beautiful sisters there and it was so lovely having their company that weekend.

So after a cheerful reunion and long drive in which we viewed the picturesque Rift Valley we got to the resort which was a full on camp site! We settled into our cabins and tents-I was in a cabin of course-the tents were a bit too grimey for me! The best thing about the accommodation was that there were real running hot showers!! A privilege for me now! They were amazing and so very valued! There was an idealic bar and restaurant where we tucked into fine cuisine such as steak, pizza;s, chicken tikka, ro9ast dinners and the like! The lick to say the least! That Saturday we all just caught up and filled the Meru group on the truth of all the silly Big Brother like drama that had been spread about our group! We spent some time at the mini masaai market before getting dolled up for a lil party a volunteer’s friend who’s parents owned the resort was throwing. Roles were played of course and people got a bit silly but im not bothered.

Sunday on the other hand was a truly memorable and somewhat surreal in hindsight.
After a super early breakfast we set off in boats across Lake Naivasha to spot the infamous inhabitants of the Lake, the hippo’s! One volunteer was overly excited about seeing them, bless him! They honestly looked like monsters and they were so big considering we could just see their heads over the water. We also spotted gorgeous giraffes and cheeky baboons in the wilderness. It was fantastic seeing the animals in their natural habitat and not in some pocksy zoo!

The next part of the morning came as a bit of a surprise. We got off the boats to try and find some more animals known to live in the jungle ahead! Little did we know that this nature trail turned out to be a treacherous walk among the highest trees i’d ever seen! The sharpest bushes I’d ever felt and the most bugs i’d ever been bitten by! Worst thing was that we were very ill prepared. I had on pumps as did many others and i had no water. It was like shooting a scene from tomb raider but without the protective gear. By the time we reached the Zebras I pretty much blacked out briefly due to the heat, lack if water and long arse walk! Nonetheless feelings of awe overcame me as it was truly beautiful, and like nothing i had ever seen before!

Back at the campsight my Meru buddy and I spent an hour and a bit haggling and getting to know the market sellers! Robert, Bruce and Vivian (Bruce’s wife to be). Bruce actually grew up in the Kibera slums which was interesting to know. Ro9bert and I discussed my career plans and he told me he had never met an African whose career chose was not solely steered by financial gain! He saw my desire to revert from corporate law to Human Rights/Development law as ‘unique’. Far from if you ask me!

I then went on an adventurous bike ride with my Meru pally’s! Totally forgot that cycling is actually hard work, we soon retired to sit among the cactus bushes and chat! Later that night after another hot shower we went for a delicious dinner and ended the night hanging out with the whole group at a little jamming session.
The final morning was a pleasant breakfast – I discovered just how much I miss toast! My first piece in 5 weeks and it was banging, no word of a lie! After a drive back and emotional goodbye our adventure was over!

I can’t describe well enough how amazing Lake Naivasha was. Another example of my Creators wonders! I can only promise myself that I will return one day. Putting everything into perspective we have done so much already and I have every intention of making my second half of the journey even more amazing!

For the love of Kenya!

Still smiling!

1 comment:

  1. wow..........amazing limz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can smell the sweet aromas of Africa as they dance all the way through your stories....love it! I miss east africa :-( And I miss you nearly as much ;-)
    Cant wait to welcome you back home and catch up.
    Love you gurl,
    Abimaroxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete