Saturday 17 September 2011

So you made it...Be humble about it!!!


I'm really supposed to be studying right now but I think its about time I replace my breaks to do online shopping to write something interesting like I used to.

So I guess a lot of these posts will reflect things I've thought about at work as that the season I'm currently in...though work isn't really a season as we'll do it for longer than a season...but as this is not my permanent abode I can still refer to it as that...

So trawling back to my first week at my current work place back in March, I went with a good friend of mine, Crystal Debrah who is also now a authoress - She wrote her own book 'What they don't tell you about University - amazing right - back to our old sixth form, Christ The King (toot toot, bang bang lol) to speak to a law class about the reality of university, the torture that is law, the fight that is a career in law etc. It meant a lot to me as its something I'm really passionate about sharing. Crystal and I and many of our friends are enjoying great and different levels of success. We all graduated with our 2:1's from top 30 universities and we are all now either working full time in the city or working full time/part time and studying part time (LPC's and Master's).

While we were at the college I remember thinking its so important that we are able to go back and tell these young people about the reality of what we had to face. Because we did not really have that. But its even more important that we come across as humble and down enough so they can fully appreciate what we were saying. I often hear people saying children need role models who mirror them so they can actually see themselves like that role model in the future. And I am understanding the wisdom behind it. Going in and being able to drop my uncle tom at times sounding voice (which I discovered recently isn't as uncle-tomish as I thought-apparently I have a strong south London accent lol) and just being real with them was important. Going in there with some "yeh I came from here and now I'm in a different world better than this one" may not work because they firstly won't vibe with what your saying if you don't break it down in a real and down to earth way but also, they are not going to want to hear some bougie sounding black woman coming in telling them how they can be as successful as her because she is not a reflection of anything they recognise and the one thing they had in common (the college attended) becomes redundant.

I believe as one becomes more successful, acquires more qualifications and earns more money you need to constantly keep yourself in check. I would be horrified if in 10 years I'm some big time lawyer, making my p, living in Dulwich (inshaAllah) but when I attend a school to give a talk no one wants to hear me because my arrogance has meant I can't speak to them in a language they are familiar with. That I'd changed so much the people I am addressing don't even believe I ever went to the same school as them. That's not to say I want to one day go in there talking like I spent the last 10 years on road with every slang word I can think of but I want to remain real enough to not get caught up in hype that is material and worldly success.

The city is home to men and women with huge ego's, a lot of arrogance and many people who have probably never even thought about humility. I often wonder why they think so highly of themselves because the questions I am asked or the discussions I hear often give me the impression that many are very ignorant of all but what they think they know. Needless to say we're all inspired and motivated by a story of struggle and its amazing to hear how people got to the top from nothing but even when your there, if your experiences haven't worked to shape you into a well rounded, humble and strong individual then the respect your due won't come your way.

Anywho...before I digress...I will hopefully be doing some more talks at CTK with SEO and back to my secondary school with one of my girls so look out for some positive posts about those...

Be successful, be real, be happy, be inspiring, be thankful and be humble!!!

Ooooh this was a short one!!

Still smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment